Compassion. Trust. Results.

Child Support & Modifications

In every divorce that involves a child, the determination of child support will play a role. Whether you are seeking child support or you have been ordered to pay, the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith can help you understand and protect your legal rights.

Tirelessly Working To Help Our Clients Obtain Fair Child Support Agreements

Child support is determined in Colorado using a formula that takes into consideration the incomes of the parents and the specific needs of the children and your family. It is presumed by the court that the parent with whom the child lives most of the time contributes his or her share of child support by virtue of providing directly for the child. The support by the other parent is paid in the form of monthly child support.

For over a decade, Shawn H. Smith has assisted Colorado parents throughout the Fort Collins and Greeley area with obtaining fair results in support cases. Although child support is largely determined through court-mandated calculations, they can be influenced by unique circumstances, depending on the case.

Our Colorado child support attorney Shawn H. Smith will diligently work to ensure your case is accurately presented and your specific circumstances are taken into consideration.

Modifying Your Child Support Order

Like child custody and parenting time agreements, support orders can be modified as long as you are able to provide a reason to the court involving a substantial and continuing change of circumstances. In order for there to be a “substantial” change of circumstances, the amount of child support due would need to change by at least 10 percent.

When you consult the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith, we will meet with you to learn about how you would like to modify your support order. We will help you develop a case that will show the court your substantial and continuing change of circumstances.

It is important to remember that child support orders can only be modified and enforced through court. If you make a verbal agreement with your child’s other parent to pay less or more, it will be not legally enforceable. You may also be held in contempt of court if you pay less than the original order has stated.

Contact The Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith

We invite you to contact the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith, today at 970-387-6858. Our law office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.