Compassion. Trust. Results.

Child Support FAQs

Answering Common Questions About Child Support

Each client is different and every case is unique. However, the dedicated staff of professionals at the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith are frequently asked questions that are common to nearly every situation. We invite you to read through these topics for some insight before scheduling a confidential consultation at our office.

I have lost my job. Can I stop paying child support?

If you are confronted with serious financial changes in your life, it is wise to contact our skilled family law attorneys. If you have lost your job, are filing for bankruptcy or have suffered a serious medical issue, it might be possible to modify your original child support order to account for these changes. The wrong thing to do would be to simply stop paying child support or attempt to reach a verbal compromise with the payee. Verbal agreements to modify child support are not enforceable. Your best course of action is to work within the confines of the legal system so all your bases are covered and you are protected.

How is child support calculated?

Most states, Colorado included, use a set of child support guidelines to calculate what the support payment will be. While the guidelines look at numerous factors, our experienced lawyers can help ensure the calculation’s accuracy. We will take into account several factors such as income, income potential, medical insurance premiums and insurance costs.

How long will I have to pay child support?

Typically, child support will continue until the child reaches the age of 19. There are certain special considerations that may affect the termination of child support, such as whether the child has not graduated from high school or if the child is disabled. It is important to remember, though, that every situation is different. It is wise to seek the counsel of our skilled Fort Collins family law attorneys who can answer your questions in person.

My ex-spouse refuses to pay child support. What are my options?

Before taking matters into your own hands, we encourage you to contact our attorneys. There are ways to enforce the payment of child support through the court system. Often, people think that withholding parenting time (visitation) will force the payer to honor his or her financial obligations. Typically, this only makes matters worse, and you could end up in trouble right along with the nonpaying spouse. Contact us as soon as possible, and we can explain your options.

I am being sued for child support, but I don’t think I’m the father. What are my legal options?

In recent years, DNA testing has been used to reliably establish or disestablish paternity. If you have concerns about whether or not you are the child’s father, contact our attorneys as soon as possible.

Contact The Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith

If you have further questions regarding child support, do not hesitate to contact our firm. We can be reached by phone at 970-387-6858 or by completing our convenient online contact form.