Compassion. Trust. Results.

Grandparent & Nonbiological Parent Rights

Even if you are not a biological parent, you can be granted parental rights in Colorado. If you would like to learn more how you could protect those rights, contact the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith as soon as possible. We also assist clients with paternity matters.

Helping You Protect Your Rights And The Well-Being Of Those You Love

Over the past decade, Shawn H. Smith has successfully represented parents, grandparents, extended family members, friends and neighbors in custody rights matters involving children across the Fort Collins area.

There are specific and complicated rules that govern custody issues in Colorado. In many cases, a nonbiological parent who has had a child living with him or her for a period of time (six months or more) may be able to file a petition for parental responsibility (custody).

At the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith, we assist our clients with a number of custody matters, including:

  • Helping grandparents obtain visitation rights with grandchildren
  • Helping nonbiological parents obtain parental responsibility (custody) of children
  • Helping biological parents obtain full parental responsibility of children
  • Defending biological parents in custody matters
  • Assisting both mothers and fathers in defending and protecting their parental rights, including paternity actions.

Whether you are a grandparent looking to spend more time with your grandchild, a father working to obtain DNA testing to establish parenting time with your child or a family relative wishing to obtain legal custody of a child in your care, parent rights attorney Shawn H. Smith can help.

Consult us today so we can learn more about your circumstance and help you understand how Colorado laws will apply to your situation. We are determined to help you protect those you love by enforcing your parent and nonbiological parent rights.

Is someone you love being abused? If you are seeking custody of a child because you believe he or she is being abused by a parent, call the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith right away. Attorney Shawn H. Smith can assist you with taking the most effective steps to finding a safe place for the child.

Contact The Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith

We invite you to contact the Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith today at 970-387-6858. Our law office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.