Compassion. Trust. Results.

How can you stop parental alienation?

On Behalf of | Nov 30, 2020 | Parenting Time

As a divorced parent, a fractured relationship with your children is likely one of your worst nightmares. Yet, it may now be your reality, through no fault of your own.

Your ex-spouse may be attempting to turn your children against you, and you may feel that you have no way to stop them. You have ways, however, to fight back against their efforts to alienate you from your children.

Indicators of parental alienation

Parental alienation refers to efforts made by one parent to harm their children’s relationship with the other parent. They may do this by making denigrating comments about the targeted parent and trying to manipulate their children’s thinking about them. Because children are impressionable, they may parrot the alienating parent and start treating the targeted parent poorly. They may do so without remorse, which can be especially painful if the targeted parent had a loving relationship with their children beforehand.

If you notice these changes in your children, you will want to observe your ex-spouse’s behavior, too. Their actions may meet the threshold of parental alienation if they:

  • Badmouth you to your children
  • Share details about your divorce with your children
  • Prevent your children from keeping their belongings at your residence
  • Plan alternative activities for your children during their scheduled time with you
  • Cancel your scheduled time with your children
  • Interfere with your communication with your children
  • Make false claims of abuse against you

Putting an end to parental alienation

If your ex-spouse is alienating you from your children, you must document any instances of their behavior that you spot. Keep in mind that this could be difficult, especially if they wage their campaign of denigration in private. You will also, then, want to document any changes in the way your children treat you. Recording these details is crucial if you want to take your case to court.

To put a stop to parental alienation, you will want to contact a family law attorney. With their help, you can understand your options protecting your parental rights.